Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Coyote population along the Highline canal

For about 3 years now, I have been hiking the highline canal trail in search of coyotes. I mostly walk the trail along bible park, hutchinson park, eisenhower park, wellshire golf course, Three Ponds park, kent denver school in cherry hills village, and the preserve in greenwood village colorado.

I have also walked trails in littleton colorado including the platte river trail, littles creek, big dry creek and the highline canal throughout southwest denver.

Coyote population count:

Denver
Bible park / hutchinson park: 3 with a couple pups (pack)

Eisenhower park: 1-2 loners

Wellshire golf course: 3 adult coyotes and 4 pups (pack)

Cherry hills village
Three ponds park: 3 adults and 2 pups (pack)

Kent denver day school: 5-6 adults and 3 pups (pack) + 1 - 2 loners

Greenwood village
The preserve: 3 adults and 2 pups (pack)

The most intriguing coyote I have encountered is 1 that lives in wellshire golf course. He is coming up on his first birthday and he tends to follow me at a distance on a nightly basis. His name is buddy.

Another very interesting coyote is 1 that lives near kent denver in cherry hills village. I have only encountered this coyote a couple times. It is fairly large and has dark fur. My 8 year old son named him "smokey". We haven't seen smokey in awhile although I do walk the trail during the day and late at night. I'm sure will see him again soon.

Many people ask me if I fear these animals and I tell them all the same thing; they want nothing to do with us and we simply need to respect them and the areas they inhabit.

Coyotes are beautiful animals and I believe deserve protection and the right to live harmoniously amongst us in urban areas. If you have any coyote stories or sightings of your own please feel free to share them with us here.

No comments:

Post a Comment